Thursday, April 1, 2010

Red birds

I haven’t updated in a while! It’s time to play catch-up.

School is going pretty good. Things are about to get real busy this month, though. I have several papers due and two final exams. I registered for Fall 2010 this week! I will be taking New Testament, Systematics, History of Methodism, and another Old Testament class called “Texts of Terror.” I am also taking a class during August term on prophetic literature. It is hard to believe I am almost finished with my first year of seminary. Here are just a few things I have learned so far:

1. I have learned that my spiritual life is still my responsibility. Spiritual growth and maturity is something I have been very intentional about. It’s easy to think that being at a school with other future pastors and church leaders will cultivate a super charged, spiritually high environment. On the contrary, this has probably been one of the more difficult times for me to read the Bible devotionally. I have learned a variety ways to analyze the historical/literal contexts and various genres. Therefore, I’ve had to resist treating my Bible like a textbook.

2. Coffee is a must. Period. I plan on mailing the owner of Caribou Coffee a “Thank you” card one day.

3. Sleeping is a luxury. I will forever cherish the days when I don’t have to wake up to my blaring alarm clock and dark sky.

4. I have learned the art of speed reading! The amount of reading in seminary is unreal and almost impossible (Thank you Dr. Jenkins).

Just a few other ramblings…

It was wonderful outside today. The sun was out, there was not a cloud in sight, and I am pretty sure the temperature got into the 80s. After a cold winter here in Atlanta, it was good to enjoy the sunshine and warmth that spring offered. I think I am going to wear flips-flops tomorrow for the first time this semester. Also, I saw two red birds today while walking to the shuttle. I really like birds. . . I’m not sure why. I think it’s because they get to fly around, sing songs, and perch in trees all day. Sounds like a good time to me.



I braided my hair last night before I went to bed. When I woke up this morning I looked liked Hermione. Oh yes. I didn’t leave the house with it like that, but I thought about it. However, by happy accident, I know how I am going to fix my hair for the next Harry Potter party that will no doubt go down this summer. Oh how I am ready for summer. I will be in Mobile for almost three whole months! :)

Ah, summer
How I wait for thee
how beautiful you are...

(We covered Song of Songs today in OT).

More later…

1 comment:

  1. 1. agreed
    2. agreed
    3. agreed
    4. agreed

    Not to be a super stalker and comment on your blog almost immediately after you posted, but I just made my own first update in awhile, too and saw that you had a new post! enjoyed reading this friend--i think we're in so much of the same place in a lot of ways!

    have a GREAT weekend. enjoy your meaty Sunday ;) and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete