Saturday, February 20, 2010

Inagural blog

My friend Whitney was telling me about her blog a while ago and it kindled my interest. I have felt the need to journal my experiences lately, especially those at seminary. I think journaling is a special type of writing because you don’t really expect anyone else to read what you’ve written. I have always enjoyed journaling, and I think written reflection can be really helpful. Instead of thoughts just floating around in your head, they become tangible words on a page and often evidence of your growth when you refer back to them. Blogging, however, puts your journal out there for others to see. I think this is why I have never jumped on board with blogging because it seems so revealing. But I feel compelled to share all that I am taking in and processing with others. Maybe this is because of the overwhelming nature of being a first year seminary student (and sometimes feeling as though my head will explode if I am introduced to one more Old Testament scholar or read another article on community leadership). I hope this blog serves as an outlet for my thoughts and experiences but also lets other people into my world as a seminarian... or just as a person trying to live a life in response to God.


So Wednesday marked the beginning of the Lenten season. I decided to give up meat, thinking it would be difficult. I was hesitant with this decision at first. I didn't want to give something up just for the sake of a challenge. I am giving up meat, but I have also decided to put something in its place. During Lent I want to spend some time learning more about food production and land use. I read this book last semester titled "Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture." This book showed me that the Bible illustrates a concern for the earth and the well-being of its creatures. Biblical writers were familiar with disputes over land use and land care, and the economics of food production were critical to their perspective. I think this is an area that readers haven't really given much attention to (me included), especially at a time when the technology of the information age has sort of reduced our ability to really know the natural world through direct experience. I hope to become more mindful and thankful about what I use and how I treat it.

Well, I better get back to my Saturday afternoon. This includes making note-cards for my Old Testament exam and taking advantage of the free refills on coffee at Caribou. I might even get real crazy and ask for a flavor shot of caramel.

More to come later... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment